Friday, September 11, 2015

I haven't knitted in public for a while.............

I might just knit in public again.  I haven't for a while. One of the last times was quite eventful....I had my knitting confiscated on a Qantas flight in the post 9/11 madness.  I had spent 3 hours of a 5 hour flight peacefully knitting when one of the flight crew stopped and asked me what I was doing. My innocent reply was knitting.  I was using large wooden circular needles - blunter than the cutlery they provided me with to eat my meal - to knit a bag.  However, because I was knitting they deemed I was using knitting needles, which were a prohibited "weapon" on flights.  My innocent effort to allay their fears, in hindsight only escalated their concern  - I referred to knitting as a meditative art form.  I think their eyebrows raised and an alarm bells went off!  "We have a crazy here".......The federal police who were waiting to greet me as I left the plane were less than impressed with the flight crew's interpretation of ''weapon''....



1 comment:

Susan C. said...

Hello, yes stalking you from over at intsagram! That would have been a little stressful to say the least. I am glad the Feds were on your side but I can see how knitting in public would be tense in the future. I too see craft as a meditation, it has got me through a lot of stuff in my life.