Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Seeking inspiration

I mentioned I am wanting to make a quilt for my Godson's wedding.  He and his fiancĂ© are farmers in the Scottish borders.  I'm told that blue features a lot in their home...so I'm thinking of a blue quilt, with some purple for Scottish thistle, yellow for the rapeseed they grow and green for the green patchwork fields that abound in the UK.  I have some wonderful Liberty fabrics which I'm going to work in.  I started by fussy cutting a piece of Liberty Glencot House and that's as far as I got on the first night! 


I have no pattern in mind.  I thought I'd start with a few feature fabrics and build blocks around them.  I want it to reflect their life together on the farm, so I've got fabric with tractors, farm animals, houses, tea cups and domesticity, trees, crops, dogs, barns.  I also have their initials...but I don't want it to look too twee.  I'm thinking cutting a mixture of squares and rectangles to reflect the fields that they work in.

Last Saturday I popped into Materialise to pick up some bits for it and Sophie had this quilt on display.  I love, love  this quilt and it is serving as inspiration for mine, although mine won't be as strippy, but I like the idea of the larger feature blocks.

 



Apologies for the bad photography.  Aren't the fabrics to-die-for?  Sophie has made a border in her signature Boho style.  I love the mosaic effect and how it marries styles/ideas/fabric together and tells a story.  My visit made me nostalgic for my days when I worked in the shop one day a week.  I LOVED working in such a creative space - it was sensory overload :)) Here's a close up of the house. Perhaps I'll incorporate a bit of applique....

 
I hope the inspiration flies tonight - I totally need to get my groove on with this quilt.  It will have to be machine quilted as I can't imagine I'll have time to hand quilt it....I'm hand delivering it in July!!


 

1 comment:

Materialise said...

Good Luck Girl!